Wednesday, January 27, 2010

How I came to live with my humans instead of my brother


Here is a picture of my brother. As you can see, he is very cute indeed, plus he was more outgoing than I am, and smaller. I think he takes after our birth mom more than I do, I think I lean more toward my birth dad.
Through the week, a woman decided she was going to take my brother, so it looked like Charles and his wife would have to take me or not have a puppy right now. But then she changed her mind. So it was on the afternoon of January 23rd, Charles and his wife showed up. By now, my half-siblings were gone to be with their humans.
Charles and Sarah (her name may also be "Mummy", humans are quite confusing that way) met everyone in my extended family, my birth mom and birth dad and grandmom and we all went outside and played in the snow. I like playing outside, even though I sometimes trip a little bit. I sat on Charles's shoe a few times, because it was black and because it is nice and smelly. I think Charles warmed up to me a little after that, but when everyone went inside, I got put in the pen with my brother and the people sat down at the dining room table to talk. One of the cats was spread out nearby and I was just having some food and playing a bit with my brother. When we were outside I tried to get a drink from my birth mom but she was having none of it. That's Ok I'm a big boy now anyway and don't need to get milk from her.
Anyway, Charles and Sarah were talking about taking my brother, because that's what Sarah knew Charles wanted. They had waited a week to see if fate would take one of us (or both of us) to other humans but now they had to decide. And my brother was going to be chosen and leave me without any humans of my own.
But then my brother started talking a lot. I think he was excited about being outside. And the whole time Sarah and Charles were sitting at the dining room table, he kept talking. I was still being a good quiet boy. The people were all going over papers, by which I don't mean they were peeing on them. This is another hint for my fellow dogs: I am pretty sure humans use papers for something other than peeing on, because sometimes they will just hold them and look at them for a long time.
Sarah and Charles started talking. Sarah said she thought my brother was too talkative, and maybe she'd be happier with a quieter dog, but she was worried because she knew Charles wanted the other dog. Charles said it was OK, because either dog would be a good dog and either dog would have to be trained but if naturally one was quieter that might be a better match for them. The daughter of my birth mom's human whispered in her mother's ear that Sarah and Charles sounded like her parents, each one trying to make the other happy. When I heard that, I started hoping maybe they'd choose me, because that's the kind of humans I like best.
Anyway, my brother kept howling a little and in the end, Sarah picked me instead of him. And Charles went along with it because he thought we'd both be good puppies, and that a quieter puppy might be better, but mainly because Charles knows his wife is wise and it is wise to make her happy when you can. And that I why I will always love Sarah very specially, because she chose me and she's why I live with my humans now instead of my brother.
I am sure my good-looking and nice personality brother will have his own humans who will love him, and that everything will work out the way God planned for it to.

But that is how I ended up with my people, who started calling me "Casey" right away. So I guess that's my name, although I'm not sure, because I also hear "Puppy" and "Doggie". Like I said, humans use a lot of words for things.

No comments:

Post a Comment