Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sunday, January 24th: After-action Report


It was a good day at first. Sarah went to church in town and Charles stayed home to spend time with me. He also shovelled out a path in the backyard and we walk around the path from time to time. I particularly enjoy the part where we pass by the composter because it is nice and smelly.
Charles and I played and we've tried a number of different toys to see which ones we like the best. So far, one of my favourites is Charles socks with his foot still in it, it is wonderful and smelly. I don't think Charles likes that one so much.
In the afternoon, Charles left and went to town because he was directing a bridge game, whatever that means. So I was in the care of Sarah and Mark. I was playing with Mark and I tried to jump over him while carrying a toy and I fell on the hard floor and hurt my paw. And this made Sarah cry a lot.
I was limping and not putting weight on my left front paw. And Sarah phoned and woke up the vet, who was sleeping, so he growled, "bring him in tomorrow." And Sarah cried some more.
When Charles came home that night Sarah had been crying very hard for very long. She met Charles in the driveway and said I had an accident, and she was very sorry and she was crying. Meanwhile, I was sleeping in Mark's arms.
Charles felt my paw and leg and he said he thought I was OK, but when I walked with a limp Sarah cried some more. Charles and Sarah agreed they'd go in to the vet the next day.
I slept well that night but Sarah kept waking me up with her crying. She was saying things like "I broke the dog." and "We can't have children, look what happened to our puppy on Day One." At 3 o'clock in the morning she got up and went on the internet and found out that lack of energy is a symptom of serious injury, so then she cried some more and said maybe I was badly hurt. Lack of energy and movement is of course also a symptom of being asleep, which is what i was, but I couldn't explain that to Sarah and she didn't believe Charles when he said so. So at three o'clock in the morning Sarah was asking Charles what if they have to put Casey down, and Charles was saying things like, he's a puppy, not a racehorse, worse case scenario he'll get a little cast. Charles also started to say things like "we need our sleep, the only and best thing to do now is get some". You see, Charles hadn't slept well on Friday night because he was excited to come and meet me, and then Saturday night he slept on the floor because he's my human and I was lonely, and now he was getting tired. So he prayed for a little bit and Sarah set the alarm for very early so we could get to the vet's when it opened at 7:30 in the morning. And I slept.
In the morning I was still a little tender and walked with a bit of a limp, but everything turned out fine. We went to the vet and he said I was Ok and I'll tell that whole story another time.
But what I learned today was that Sarah loves me very much and is also likely to cry sometimes. And that Charles is pretty calm and doesn't like to go without a good night's sleep three days running. And you have to be careful what you try and jump over when you have a toy in your mouth.

So the above picture is of Sarah one time when she wasn't crying. But she does have red-eye the way doggies should in their pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment