Monday, February 1, 2010

The Book of Eli


On Sunday (after church fittingly enough) my human Charles went to see The Book of Eli with his friend Mark. My human Sarah went to see When in Rome or something like that starring Kristen Bell. She says When in Rome wasn't a very good movie. Also, it didn't have any dogs in it. So there you are.
Charles really really liked The Book of Eli. He likes movies set in the post-apocalyptic world, like Mad Max. In this movie you can tell something terrible has happened because the ground is all dry and brown. Apparently there was a war and all the dogs were killed, so you can see that this is an absolutely terrible situation. Also, a lot of the humans were killed too. We meet Eli, played by Denzel Washington. In the opening scene, he shoots a cat with a bow and arrow. Later on, he eats the cat. So this is how we know from the beginning of the movie that he is the Hero. Later in the film there is a poster on the wall for a movie called A Boy and His Dog. It is an odd movie and not to everyone's taste, but it is post-apocalyptic and it very correctly shows that dogs are smarter than people, and at the end of it Don Johnson has a difficult decision to make which he makes correctly, so as a dog I have to give it a 3 and half dew-claws up. I think Book of Eli may be 4 dew-claws up. It might have benefited if Denzel had a good dog actor with him to play off of, like Will Smith had in his post-apocalyptic movie, I am Legend. But if you want to make the audience feel like the world is in serious trouble, having no dogs is a pretty good place to start. Shooting everything in sepia tones helps too, although humans see too many colours anyway.
While my humans were away at the movie, I stayed at home and was good. It is important that you get your humans used to being away from you for longer periods of time, otherwise they will not be able to succeed at their jobs and bring home treats and toys and food. My humans were away for four hours and although they were very excited and relieved to see me when they got back, I think they did pretty well to be gone for that long. Then we had the rest of the day together.
I am really enjoying running now and I hope my humans are noticing and will soon put a leash on me so that they don't get lost. Last night just before bed I also had a super 5 minutes of going nuts, just to burn off energy. Wow, is that super fun! But I did tire my humans out, so they went to bed early.
Charles went out again and when he came home at night, he had learned that if you have an 11 card trump fit and are missing the King, the correct thing to do is play for the drop. He didn't so 6 diamonds went down, which cost him 26 IMPs on the board. He still has a lot to learn about bridge. But the good news is that he is showing great signs of getting the hang of Fetch, which to my way of thinking is a lot more fun than Bridge anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment